This past week I started training for the Des Moines 1/2 Marathon. It is not until October so that is a good 18 weeks to train! Sweet!!
I have several goals in not only how I want to run the race but also in preparation. I feel that everything I have been doing up to now has been the lead in to training for this event.
- To Finish! (Speed will always be in the back of my mind because I am a competitive person, but I’m being very realistic)
- To enjoy the event!
- To Finish injury free!
So…13.1 miles. I am not going to run the whole thing. It is going to be a run/walk event. I’ve been doing a lot of reading on the subject and also talking to one of my running partners as she has done one before. So the plan is to run a mile/walk a minute. Everything I have read says that if you add walking to your running that it makes you stronger and increases your endurance and I have no reason to argue with the pros!
Specific Training Goals
- Improve my breathing. Brenda, one of my running partners told me that the reason that people in the military sing while they are running is because it forces them to breathe through their noses. Wow! So when we chat on our runs or I talk to myself (yup) during my solo runs it helps! I’m actually breathing in through my nose much of the time now and it makes a HUGE difference!
- Increase Endurance. I’m able to run/walk about 4.5 miles right now. I’m following the conventional wisdom of increasing my length of run by 10% per week but my increase will be smaller than that. At the end of next week I plan on being up to 5 miles.
- RUN HILLS! Nuff said, this is critical for my conditioning.
- Cross Training. This includes strength training, step aerobics, yoga and anything else I decide to do. I don’t have access to a pool without paying for it so that’s out.
- Clean Eating. This means planning the healthiest meals possible so I can continue to cut weight. I want to be down another 30 or so by October and I know I will increase my pace just by dropping significantly more weight. I’ve been flirting with 229 for the past few days now. That will be HUGE when I get into the 220′s. I seriously cannot wait.
- Massage. I’ve decided to reward myself with massage once or twice a month.
- Run one 5K a month up to the race. I have most of them scheduled!!!
- Hydration. If I don’t keep myself more hydrated than I have been, especially in this horrible heat I not only won’t run well, I put myself at risk. I’ve got to up the ante on my water intake.
- I’ve started getting tingles in my fingertips after I run about 2.5 miles. I know there is no underlying issues from my doctor and I hold my arms at 90 degrees when I run. I’ve read up on it and I’ve heard it’s pretty common but it sucks. If anyone reading this has any suggestions please let me know. I may go to a sports medicine doctor just in case but I’m not overly worried.
- Mental. My mental game is actually really great but it’s the mental component that can break any of us. So I am going to meditation every Tuesday night just to get centered.
Anything I have forgotten?